Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Highly ethical
- Clear communicator
- Team player
- Unflappable, with a calming presence
- Positive, upbeat attitude
- Fast, eager learner
- Technical Customer Support (email, phone, chat, social media, desk side)
- Writing (documentation, blog posts, email templates, etc.)
- Manual QA (Windows, Mac, HP-UX, Web-based)
- Productive remote worker since 1990
- macOS, Windows, Linux
- iOS, Android
- Zendesk, Intercom, Targetprocess
- Jira, Asana, Trello
- Git, GitHub, GitLab
- HTML5, CSS, WordPress
- EDI (Telecom)
- SnagIt, GIMP, iPhoto/Photos
Senior Customer Solutions Engineer at CivicScience Inc., 2022 to Present (remote)
- Support publishers and data clients in their collection of data and use of proprietary research database
- Produce technical documentation for internal and external audiences
- Test SaaS product from end to end
Technical Support Engineer at Travel Syndication Technology LLC, 2018 to 2022 (remote)
Provide enterprise support for B2B2C SaaS startup via email, phone, and screen-sharing sessions.
- Reduced open support tickets from 1200+ to less than 400 in the first three months of employment
- Research customer tickets using JSON & XML logs, FullStory, and queries of MySQL and MongoDB databases
- Reproduce customer-reported bugs and create and monitor defect reports in Jira Software
- Communicate with product owners and developers regarding customer feedback
- File and monitor problem reports with providers
- Evaluated help desk options, then migrated support tickets from Targetprocess to Zendesk
- Administer Zendesk instance (Support, Talk, Guide, and Explore)
- Collaboratively set up and supervise remote call center with 104 agents who service 98% of AAA’s travel customers
- Create and maintain documentation for internal and external users in Confluence and Guide
- Administer Google Workspace, Jira, Okta, and Slack
Freelance Consultant, 1990 to Present
I was a full-time consultant for several years and maintained my consulting practice at a reduced level when employed by other firms. I provide a range of services to individuals and small businesses including internet presence consulting and development, determination of software and hardware needs, and training customers on various hardware and software products. In the past, I also built PC systems to customers’ specifications.
Senior Technical Advisor at Apple, Inc., 2014 to 2018 (remote)
Hired in April 2014 as a tier one phone Mac advisor. Moved to chat support in June and back to the phones for iOS support in December. Promoted to tier two iOS advisor in June 2015, then to tier two Mac+ advisor in December.
- Consistently achieved 100% customer satisfaction ratings over multiple reporting periods while maintaining excellent call handle times in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
- Supported Mac computers, macOS (10.6.8 and up), iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, iPod Touches), iPods, and Apple Watches
- Supported iTunes and iCloud on Mac and Windows
- Supported Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Photos/iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, and third-party applications for anything affecting installation, launching of the applications, and uninstallation
- Advised and mentored tier one advisors as well as taking escalated calls
- Handled all escalated calls, which typically involved encryption, data loss or corruption, passwords and certificates, data migration, backup problems, networking issues, adware, Terminal commands, and requests for a supervisor
- Removed malware and educated consumers on avoiding infection
- Escalated cases to engineering staff if they could not be resolved immediately, then worked with engineers and customers until the cases were brought to a satisfactory resolution
- Served as scribe for team meetings and set up team wiki space
Technical Support Maven at Owl Insights, 2016 to 2017 (remote)
Acted as sole technical support provider to internal and external clients of healthcare SaaS startup via phone and email. (Contractor, part-time)
- Maintained excellent support response time while completing projects promptly
- Onboarded new clients
- Worked with MySQL tables and web interface to healthcare app to resolve clients’ issues
- Performed QA tests to assist agile development team
- Created HTML help files for system using BBEdit and updated them using Git via GitHub
- Recorded instructional videos for help system using Snagit and uploaded them using GitHub and FTP
- Created other help documents as needed
- Migrated support records from an OSTicket to Desk.com and served as Desk administrator
- Used Asana, then Jira to track projects
- Researched chat solutions for integration into product
Personal Technology Expert, Support.com — 2013 to 2014 (remote)
Provided remote support to customers of clients such as Comcast, Office Depot, Office Max, Radio Shack, and Staples. Hired as a Remote Access Technician (tier one) in March 2013 and promoted to Personal Technology Expert (tier two) in August of that year.
- Achieved excellent call handle times and first-call resolution rates while maintaining high customer satisfaction ratings
- Identified and resolved any issue preventing connection to the internet or wireless networks (computers, smartphones, tablets, game consoles, e‑readers, printers, media devices, routers, etc.)
- Analyzed and fixed problems with Windows and Mac systems and applications
- Diagnosed and remediated malware on Windows and Mac systems
- Pinpointed hardware issues and recommended path for resolution
- Configured new computers for customers or optimized existing systems
- Explained technologies to customers using non-technical terms so that they might better use their hardware and software or understand what needed to be done to resolve their issues
- Assisted tier one representatives with difficult cases and took escalated calls
Stay-at-Home Mother/Home Technical Guru — 2000 to 2012
- Homeschooled daughter from fourth grade through high school graduation.
- Served as primary instructor
- Developed curriculum
- Coordinated additional instruction
- Maintained portfolio and other records to document progress
- Daughter consistently scored in 98th percentile on standardized tests and graduated from the University of Nebraska at Omaha with honors
- Managed household of five humans and up to six animals
- Developed and balanced budget
- Acquired supplies and monitored inventory
- Kept all family records and managed correspondence
- Managed household tasks, assigning them to family members by capability and availability
- Gamified tasks in order to generate more interest from and appeal to children
- Created and maintained multiple web sites
- Experimented with Drupal, Joomla and Gallery
- Wrote content for six sites in addition to technical administration
- Served as webmaster for the other sites and never had a security breach or experienced any data loss
- Set up and maintained home network and multiple desktop and laptop PCs, utilizing Red Hat Linux, Samba, various versions of Windows, and later Windows 200x server
- Kept very old and new computers running different operating systems working properly, communicating with each other and the internet and avoided malware infection and other security issues.
- Set up and supported iOS gadgets, Android smartphones, Palm PDAs and other devices as needed to keep the family in touch with each other and the world
- Periodically evaluated groupware solutions available to home users and published website articles reporting results
QA Analyst, DARTmail project, DoubleClick, Inc. — 1999 to 2000
DARTMail was an opt-in email marketing system that allowed advertisers to manage their mailing lists, measure response to ads, and target messages to consumers based on their expressed preferences.
- Created and executed test plans
- Performed web-based testing of user interface using multiple browsers and platforms to check authentication and all links, forms, etc. through each step of development
- Did email-based testing of subscription and response systems
- Ran load tests
- Used SQL to populate and test databases
- Used proprietary database to track issues
Lead QA Analyst/Documentation Specialist, GE Information Systems/ASI Services, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia — 1998 to 1999
Clearinghouse Project — GEIS acted as a subcontractor to Telcordia to develop a system for processing ordering and provisioning transactions between Sprint and eight local telephone companies. The project involved EDI and various proprietary data formats on HP-UX servers as well as Oracle and GEIS’ products Enterprise System (an e‑commerce gateway), EDI Application Integrator, and EDI Express. I was trained in the use of Segue Silk Suite but we did not use it for the project. Hired as a junior tester, promoted two days later to test lead for the project.
- Wrote .ksh scripts to automate testing
- Performed some SQL queries for testing and tested web-based and Windows interfaces
- Created, documented and implemented testing procedures, plans and cases from customer requirement, technical specification and local telephone company ordering guideline documents for integration, functional and regression tests
- Wrote testing procedures manual used by testing team
- Created project schedules and managed testing resources in MS Project
- Tracked issues in proprietary database
- Recruited, trained and supervised testers
- Acted as liaison to Sprint, Telcordia, local telephone companies and several teams of developers
Manager, Support/Information Technology, RelevantKnowledge, Inc. — 1997
Originally hired to create and manage technical support department, but the software wasn’t ever developed to the point that there was anything to support, so I ended up doing other work, instead.
- Tested internet-related software in Windows environment and worked with software development team providing feedback on software design and quality control
- Documented software and wrote materials for end users and clients
- Provided all internal training and support for business operations personnel
- Created training materials supplied via intranet
- Set standards and procured software and hardware
- Installed and configured workstation and LAN software and hardware (mixed Win95 and WinNT environment, with some Solaris servers)
- Primary contact for T1 provider (BBNPlanet)
Technical Writer/Technical Support Supervisor, MindSpring Enterprises, Inc. — 1995 to 1996
Hired as a Telephone Support Representative in August 1995; promoted to Supervisor in October 1995; and promoted to additional duties as Technical Writer in January 1996.
- Researched and developed written training and reference resources for customers and technicians, delivered in both traditional printed and online (email, newsgroup and web) formats
- Involved in development of extensive knowledge database for intranet.
- Tested new versions of software package for Windows users, tracking defects and working with developers to resolve problems
- Tested web-based applications developed internally for use by support personnel
- Provided support for any issue on Macintosh or Windows computers that could impact use of the customer’s MindSpring account via phone, email and newsgroups
- Supervised/mentored technicians and assisted in recruiting and training new technicians
Pre-tech Years — 1985 — 1992
Before I moved into tech, I did accounting and administrative work. My last employer was Mission to the World, the foreign missions board of the Presbyterian Church in America. I administered their self-insured health insurance fund from 1987 to 1992, processing claims, submitting claims to the stop-loss insurer, doing all the accounting, and maintaining other records. I regularly ran benefit orientation and enrollment sessions for 50 or more missionaries.
Technology Coach, Bluehair Technology — 2014 to 2017
Helped seniors learn to use their mobile devices and other technology, as well as with understanding Facebook and other social networks, Internet safety, using online banking or ride hailing services, and so on. Also updated WordPress site and Facebook group with events as needed.
Mentor, Do Space — 2016
Assisted clients of technology library to learn or improve technology skills in one-on-one sessions.
Animal Foster Home, LifeLine Animal Project — 2013 to 2016
- Provided a loving home to cats who would otherwise live in the shelter
- Helped prepare kittens for their forever homes by socializing them, giving them plenty of love, and getting them used to being handled gently
IT Advisor to Board of Directors, Grants to You — 2012 to 2014
Liaison to webmaster and web host. Responsible for identifying issues with web site, reporting them to webmaster, and tracking them until resolved. Assisted in recruiting new webmaster. Also member of New Business Model Committee.
Executive Vice President/Webmaster, Working to Halt Online Abuse — 1998 to 2005
WHOA assisted people who were being harassed online and worked to increase awareness of internet safety issues in the general public and among law enforcement personnel and legislators.
- Served on the Board of Directors. Helped create policies and procedures for the organization
- Analyzed statistics collected from cases for 2000 and 2001 and create annual reports based on them
- Featured as an Internet Security expert during interviews with 20/20 Downtown, Oprah, The Net, WSB News, .Net, The Site, USA Today, US News & World Report, AP, and other televised and print media
- Developed and maintained web site at http://www.haltabuse.org/ (created the design and wrote much of the content that is still on the site)
- Consulted with law enforcement personnel on specific cases and trained them to trace messages themselves
- As an Internet Safety Advocate (1998 to 2000), worked with people experiencing harassment, traced email and newsgroups messages and located the email or web source to whom to complain and contacted those parties on the victims’ behalf when appropriate
- Advised the victims on how to avoid further harassment as much as possible
Safety Coordinator, Freecycle Network — 2004 to 2005
Freecycle is a network of local groups bringing people with still-useful items to get rid of together with neighbors who need or want those items. The network keeps many tons of usable goods out of landfills all over the world.
- Began volunteering with Freecycle as a local listowner in 2004, then became the first New Group Approver for Georgia before moving on to the Safety Coordinator position, which was created for me
- Developed safety policies and assisted Freecycle personnel with any problems that arose
- Served on Advisory Board to President with other leaders
Troop Leader, Girl Scouts of the USA — 2001 to 2003
Co-leader of Rainbow troop, girls from about 5 up to late teens. Planned and facilitated meetings and troop events (with help from teens), with age-appropriate activities for each level. Led the group until I moved back to Atlanta.
Tech Live Advisor and Homework Helproom Volunteer, America Online — 1993 to 1995
Answered questions and educated members about AOL and the Internet in general, chatting with up to five users at a time in exchange for a free AOL account. Assisted elementary to college students with subject-specific and general questions.
President, PC Users Group of Dublin/Laurens County — 1990 to 1992
One of the founders and the first president of a PC Users Group in Middle Georgia. Led the group from three initial founders to 50+ members. Arranged monthly presentations on topics of interest to members and set up special interest groups on topics like Windows, Databases, BBSing, and Programming.
Currently enrolled at Western Governors University majoring in Information Technology with a Software Development concentration. Approximately two years of credits towards a B.S. in Technical and Professional Communications/Management from Southern Polytechnic State University, and Agnes Scott College. Continuing to also utilize RMOTR, FreeCodeCamp, Codecademy, LinkedIn Learning, Coursera, EdX, and other resources to continue education.